Thursday, August 20, 2009

Liam's 9 month check-up...Praying for a "big head"

So, Liam had his 9 month check-up yesterday. Developmentally he is doing great!! Even adjusting for his prematurity he is ahead of the game :-). He now weighs 26 lbs. and 6 oz. (97%) actually down a little over a pound from his NICU follow-up. He is 30 1/2 inches tall (95%) and has a 18 3/4 inch head (95%). He actually had his first ear infection too, so he had to be put on antibiotics :-(. After doing all of the measuring, weighing, and poking around the Dr. said that she was a little concerned about how fast Liam's head was growing. It grew almost an inch since his last appointment in June. She said that some babies just have "big heads" and others in rare cases may have a condition called hydrocephalus. Dr. Evans ordered a Cranial Ultrasound so we are able to rule out that condition or any others that may be causing his increased head growth. While I was at the Dr.'s office I was fine...I guess it hadn't really hit me that this could be pretty serious. So, needless to say I kinda freaked out once I got home and was able to process everything. Imagining every possible horrible thing that could go wrong from cancer, to tumors, to you name it. I called the Dr.'s office back and requested that Dr. Evans call me to explain everything to me again. Thankfully she called back shortly, and reassured me that she is not at all concerned about tumors, or cancer or anything like that, she is just being extra cautious. And she said that the reason she wanted to go ahead and have the test done now is because while his fontanels are still open they are able to do ultrasounds which are non-invasive and do not expose them to radiation, whereas if we wait he would have to have a CT scan which involves radiation. She also said that she really feels that everything will come back "normal" meaning Liam just has a "big head". So, I guess that is what we are praying for... just a "big head"... I can live with that!! The Pediatrician's office has to schedule the test which is done at Scottish Rite, so they will call me and let me know when the appointment is. I am hoping it is sooner rather than later so I can quit worrying... well, about this anyways. I think as a mother we will always worry to an extent. I am so thankful for my family and friends who are so supportive and prayerful. I am truly blessed :-)!! So, in the meantime we will be praying for just a "big head"...

3 comments:

Alison said...

I'll say a prayer for a big head, too!! My fam is full of them - although that may not give you too much relief! Ha!

Cecilia said...

I'll pray for peace and that nothing is wrong. I know that's got to be stressful.

Kim said...

Amie, I just read this!!! =(