Friday, March 27, 2009

4 Month Check-Up, Cereal and "Good Music"

Singing and dancing to the Beatles
"Good Music"
Liam is singing too!
He loves his Daddy!!
Cereal
Ok, Mom... I'll try it
Hmmmm....
I don't think so....
Seriously, Mom...

So, we went to the doctor for Liam's 4 month check-up. Dr. Evans is thrilled with how well he is doing, and AMAZED at his growth, especially for a "Preemie". He weighed in at 18lbs and 14.5 oz. and 25 1/2 inches long!! He is in the 92% for his weight! She said he looks wonderful! Nick was a little concerned because he is "so fat" but Dr. Evans informed me that it is very common especially for breast fed babies to be heavy the first 6mo. and said that they tend to thin out the following six months when they become more active. She also said he is not "fat" he is "healthy" I think I will use that line... "I'm not "fat", I'm "healthy", I am not so sure it works when you are 28... oh well. He is still battling reflux and they increased his medication again to see if that will help keep him more comfortable. I can not wait until he doesn't have to deal with that anymore.
Dr. Evans said we could start solid food now if we wanted to. Starting with cereal and then slowly introducing vegetables, then fruits. I went ahead and tried the cereal yesterday because I was told that it can also help control the reflux. Well, Liam pretty much hated it and cried until I would nurse him. He has become quite the "booby baby". He used to take a bottle when I was away, and now he has gotten to where he is refusing to drink from a bottle at all! He will drink an ounce maybe. Dr. Evans said it is not "nipple confusion" it is just that he wants me and not the bottle. She said if he can nurse then he can drink from a bottle. So, for now I am going to hold off on the solids and wait until 6 months to try again. I figure compensating for his prematurity it will really be like 4 months.
So, I went Wal-Mart after Liam's doctor's appointment to get him a new toy because he did so well at his appointment. I decided on a 4 disc cd set of children's songs and a pair of little socks with rattles on them. Liam LOVES to kick his feet, it is so cute! Well, Nick came home from work the other day and heard the music, and informed me that Liam doesn't need to listen to music like that. He needs to listen the "good music" like the Beach Boys, and the Beatles. So he quickly changed the music and proceeded to sing and "dance" with Liam to the Beatles. I must say that Liam did seem to like that better. Anyway, I think it is funny that Nick is so concerned with the music choices. I guess that what you get when you are married to a musician ;-)! He is such a wonderful Daddy!!


2 comments:

Kim said...

I heard someone is wearing 9 mos. clothing! Ha ha! I'm "healthy" too! =)
Will he take the bottle if you give it to him and hold him close? Is it really that?
That's funny about the music. =)

Stephanie and Chris Hunnicutt said...

It's good to hear he is growing so well. Babies are supposed to be "healthy"! Let him get as fat as he wants! I completely agree with Nick about the music thing! See you soon.